In this section, I'm trying to link each person with photos and historical/biographical information for themselves and their family in the photo album section of the website. If you have an obituary, photo, or other historical/biographical information that you would like to add, please notify the webmaster. (See note)
Macomber, George E., Augusta, May 11  - George E. Macomber, long identified with utilities interests, banking and insurance in this State and throughout the Country, died at his home here this morning, aged 82. Was Grocery Clerk In Youth - He was born in this city, June 6, 1853, son of George W. and Hannah L. Kallock Macomber. His father came to Maine from P[??] Mass., when a young man and engaged in the granite business at the time of the construction of the Maine Capitol. The father died when young George was but 11 years old, and he and his brother Henry were called upon to aid their mother in keeping the family together while they attended the local schools. Following employment during the Summer of 1870 in a grocery store here George Macomber was named a clerk in the Augusta Post office by Postmaster Horace H. Hamlen and continued there until March, 1876. In that year Mr. Macomber purchased the fire insurance agency of David Cardill and started his long connection with insurance business in this State. He later bought the business of Watson F. Hallett and still later the agency of Benjamin Davis, one of the oldest in Maine. Then followed a consolidation with M. F. Farr of Hollowell under the name of Macomber & Farr. In 1886 the brother, Henry, was made a member of the company. He continued in the business for 11 years until his death when he was succeeded by Charles R. Whitten and the name changed to Macomber, Farr & Whitten, which it still remains. After three years as a member of the Augusta City Council, Mr. Macomber was elected in 1886 and was re-elected in 1887 and 1888. It was during his term as mayor that the Augusta business street was paved with granite blocks, and the old gas and kerosene lighting system replaced by electricity. Mr. Macomber was also instrumental in securing the location for the public library building given by Mr. Lithgow. On Building Committee - In the last year of his mayoralty an aggressive attempt was made to remove the State Capitol to Portland, and Mr. Macomber organized a citizen's committee which presented plans for the building of the west wing. He was named by Governor Burleigh as a member of the commission supervising the construction of the addition. In cooperation with John F. Hill, afterwards Governor, and P. O. Vickery and E. C. Allen, the Augusta House was purchased and rebuilt. It was through Mr. Macomber's foresight and energy that the present Augusta Water District was organized and a modern system of public supply installed. He also was active in the establishment of the Augusta General Hospital and its subsequent enlargement, and was president emeritus at the time of his death. He was for several years a trustee of State Insane hospitals. Mr. Macomber was treasurer of the company that built the Augusta-Gardiner Electric Railroad, the second line in Maine, which was started July 1, 1890. Later with John F. Hill and seven prominent Knox County men the Rockland-Thomaston & Camden Street Railway and the Knox Gas & Electric Company were built. Other similar enterprises with which Mr. Macomber was connected as treasurer and manager included the electric light company and Norway-South Paris Street Railway. The Saratoga, N. Y., Street Railway, which he rebuilt, and the Dover & Somersworth Street Railway later sold to protect the holdings of the Portland Savings Bank; the Portsmouth & York Beach Railway, a 12-mile line built in 1897. He had been a director of the Maine Central Railroad and for many years was a member of the Executive Committee of its board of Directors. As manager of a syndicate of Maine men, Mr. Macomber promoted extensive utilities holdings in the West, including the Quincy Gas & Electric Company, the Decatur Gas & Electric Company, the Peoria Gas & Electric Company, all in Illinois, and the Fort Wayne & Wabash Valley road in Indiana. In 1897 Mr. Macomber bought at a receiver's sale the Second Avenue Cable Railroad at Spokane Wash. to protect the holdings of the Granite State Insurance Company in that line, he rebuilt and electrified it and subsequently sold it at a profit. The gas and electric company of Hutchinson, Kas., and the Salina, Kansas, utility were re-organized by Mr. Macomber and later sold to H. L. Doherty Co., of New York. As president he operated the Rapid City, Black Hills, and Western Railroad in South Dakota which he sold in 1923. During his association with other Maine men, Mr. Macomber supervised the construction of the Newport & Providence Street Railway in Rhode Island. Trust Company Founder - Early in his business career Mr. Macomber was named a director of the Granite National Bank, and a trustee of the Kennebec Savings Bank and later served as president of the latter institution for many years. He was one of the founders and for many years president of the Augusta Trust Company. In company with the late John F. Hill he constructed several important business blocks in this city. He was treasurer of the Augusta Real Estate Association which held extensive business and rental properties here over a long period of years. Mr. Macomber maintained the highest type of civic interest and was a ready generous contributor to all community needs. His philanthropies were many and his public donations were climated in 1929 when with Mrs. Macomber he gave to the city of Augusta the beautiful World War memorial which stands at the junction of State and Grove streets in his native city. In recognition of his notable contributions the James Fitzgerald Post, American Legion, gave him special tribute with the presentation of a medal. In January, 1877, Mr. Macomber married Sarah V. Johnson of Edinboro, Pa., at Winthrop, Maine. She died in January, 1915. On June 6, 1916, he married Mrs. Laura L. Cony, who survives him. He is also survived by two daughters of his first marriage, Mrs. Guy P. Gannett, of Cape Elizabeth and Mrs. R. H. Bodwell of Boston; and an adopted daughter, Mrs. Fred R. Lord, of Augusta. He also leaves several grandchildren. The funeral will be held Wednesday at 4 p. m., (Daylight Saving Time) from the home, 150 State Street, Augusta. (George's photo page).
Mannhardt, Ruth, MARION, N.Y. – Ruth N. (MacLaughlin) Mannhardt, 74, died Jan 26, 1996. She was retired from work as a Cafeteria baker at Marion Central School. Mrs. Mannhardt was born in Camden, April 15, 1921. She was a Member of the altar guild at St. Mark’s Church for 25 years. Surviving are her husband James V. Mannhardt; two daughters, Kathie Cullinane and her husband Mark of Tempe, Ariz, and Debra Valentine and her husband Dana of Rochester, N.Y.; two sons, Shawn Mannhardt and his wife Esther of Livingston, Mont, and David Mannhardt of Lyons,N.Y.; Three sisters, Lucy Smith and her Husband Kenneth, and Theresa Robertson of Rockland, and Valerie Emery and her husband Frank of Lacrosse, Wis; two brothers Reginald MacLaughlin and his wife Meredith of Florda, and Frank MacLaughlin and his wife Wilma of Filmore, N.Y.; and four grand-children, Adam, Jeffery, Joshua, and Jeremy. A Memorial service will be held 2 p.m. today (Saturday) at St. Mark’s Church in Newark, N.Y. Arrangements are by Stevens Funeral Home. Memorial gifts can be made to St. Mark’s Altar Guild. (Courier-Gazette, Rockland, Maine - Feb. 3, 1996).
Maple, Carl G., Carl G. Maple, 61, of Manchester, a retired Manchester Fire Fighter of 25 years and former owner/partner of Precise Painting & Decorating, passed away on January 1, 2008 after a courageous battle with cancer. He was at his second home in Twin Mountain, NH, where he wished to be during his final days, surrounded by family and friends. He is survived by his loving wife Patty McNamara, daughter Cindy Farrell (Maple) and her husband Sean, son Cliff Maple and his fiancée Heidi Pedrick, mother Ebba Maple, sister Donna Maple and brother Larry Maple. Carl also adored his two granddaughters Kira and Kaitlin Farrell who affectionately called him "Pampy" and "YaYa". He also leaves his faithful canine companion, Tiger. For twenty years, Carl and his family enjoyed vacationing at their summer home in Owls Head, Maine. Carl’s family extends special thanks to Dr. Meredith Selleck, NH Oncology, Dr. Charles Carrier, Murphy Unit – CMC, the North Country Home Hospice, and the law offices of Bernstein Shur, for their support through this difficult journey. Funeral services were private and at the convenience of the family. In lieu of flowers, the family has requested donations be made to either New Horizons for NH, 100 Manchester St., Manchester, 03101, NH Oncology-Hematology, 200 Technology Drive, Hooksett, 03106, The Fire Fighters Relief Association, 100 Merrimack St, Manchester, 03101, or to North Country Home, Health, & Hospice Agency, 536 Cottage St, Littleton, NH, 03561. (Obituary photo).
Maple, Ebba L., Ebba L. Maple, 85, of Manchester, died January 2, 2009 at the Catholic Medical Center after a period of declining health. She was born in Rockland, ME on March 20, 1923, the daughter of Herbert and Estie Kalloch. She was educated in Rockland. Prior to retirement, she had been employed as a licensed nurses assistant at Briston Manor in Bedford. Ebba will be remembered as a loving woman who always spoke her mind. She had a love of pets and was always willing to offer a safe home for stray animals. She was predeceased by two sons, Carl G. Maple in 2008 and Wesley Maple in 1986. Members of her family include her daughter, Donna Bond of Manchester; one son, Larry Maple of Florida; grandchildren; great-grandchildren; nephews, nieces, and cousins. Funeral services were private and at a later date. (NH Union Leader). (Photo page).
Maple, Wesley S., MANCHESTER, NH -- Wesley S. Maple, 36, died Dec. 10 in Manchester after a long illness. Born in Manchester, NH on June 6, 1950, he was the son of Wesley S. and Ebba Kalloch Maple. A graduate of New Hampshire schools, he had been employed with New England Telephone in Manchester, retiring seven years ago due to ill health. Survivors include two sons, Paul and Scott Maple, both of Claremont, NH; a daughter Kristie Ann Maple, Claremont; his mother of Manchester; his father of Bradenton, FL; maternal grandfather, Herbert Kalloch of Rockland, ME; a sister, Donna Longstreet Bond of Manchester; two brothers, Carl G. and Larry H. Maple, both of Manchester, NH; a niece and a nephew. The funeral was held in Manchester on Dec. 13, followed by interment at the Pine Grove Cemetery in Manchester.
Mayhew, Jane (Keller), DIED - MAYHEW - On Friday, Feb. 1, Jane Mayhew, widow of Thomas M. Mayhew of East Machias, Me. Funeral services at her late residence, 236 Carroll St., Brooklyn, on Sunday, Feb. 3, at 2:30 P. M. Interment private. Boston papers please copy. (New York Times, Feb. 2, 1901).
Mayhew, Mary Ann, ORLAND - Mary Ann (Johnson) Mayhew, 70, entered into rest Aug. 18, 2012. Born Nov. 29, 1940, in Baton Rouge, La., daughter of Henry and Ruth (Young) Johnson. She was a graduate of University High School. She graduated from Louisiana State University with a major in Journalism. On July 15, 1967, she married Professor Dean Mayhew from Camden. Mrs. Mayhew was a veteran of several national newspapers including The Bangor Daily News, where she won the Marjorie Mills Award for service to women in New England journalism. She had been a member and was past worthy matron of Riverside Order of the Eastern Star No. 123, Orland. Surviving is her husband, Professor Dean Mayhew of Orland; two children, Mark Daniel Mayhew of Scarborough and Rebecca Laurel Mayhew Dale of Orland; and five grandchildren. She was predeceased by a son, Peter Richard Mayhew. The family would like to extend their thanks to Hancock County Homecare and Hospice, to the many private caretakers and friends, and especially to Karen Wardwell, who assisted during Mary's illness. A graveside service will be held 2 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 22 at Long Funeral Home, 9 Mountain St., Camden. Burial will be at Maplewood Cemetery, Ducktrap Road, Lincolnville. Condolences and memories may be shared with the Mayhew family by visiting their book of memories at www.longfuneralhomecamden.com. (Bangor Daily News, Aug. 21, 2012). (Photo from obituary), (Photo album page).
McLaughlin, Ina, Funeral services for Mrs. Ina McLaughlin, 76 of Islesboro were held Saturday at 3 p.m. at the First Baptist Church in Islesboro with the Rev. William Jowett officiating. Internment was in Keller Cemetery. Mrs McLaughlin, widow of Joe McLaughlin of Islesboro, died Thursday in Portland at the home of her son William McLaughlin with whom she made her home during the winters. She had been ill for several months. She was the daughter of William and Edith Carleton Keller, and had lived in Islesboro all of her life. Besides her son, William of Portland, she is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Gertrude Leach of Dark Harbor and Miss Catherine McLaughlin of Brooklyn N. Y.; 16 grandchildren and 10 great-grandchildren. (Orlando Sanborn Scrapbook, newspaper clipping).
McMillan, Lewis/Louis, Lewis McMillan died Mon night 9 p.m. He was a member of the St. John's Lodge and will be
buried in the Masonic Cemetery. (Seattle Post-Intelligencer, Wed Jun 8, 1887, p 3, col 4).
Louis (McMillan) died at home Mon, age 51. He crossed the plains in 1850 and lived in OR. He came to King County in 1857 or 58 and homesteaded at Kent. He moved to Seattle 6 or 7 years ago. He leaves a wife but no children. (Seattle Daily Press, June 8, 1887, p3, col 2).
Mero, Elizabeth Kalloch, Elizabeth Kalloch Mero, widow of the late Deacon Eli S. Mero, of Augusta, died very suddenly of heart disease Sunday [6/23/1907] morning. Her husband died four years ago, and for the last two years Mrs. Mero has made her home with her son-in-law Charles R. Hail, where she was kindly cared for and where her gracious presence ever made her welcome. Two children, Hattie, the wife of Mr. Hail; and M. H. Mero of Augusta survive. She was an aunt of Hon. George E. Macomber. Mrs. Mero and her husband were born in Warren and removed to Augusta in 1862. They were both converted in Warren. In the great revival of 1867, and joined the First Baptist church in Augusta immediately on going there. Mrs. Mero was among the three oldest members of the church. She was born on the 8th of July 1823 and lacked only a few days of being 84 years of age. The Kennebec Journal says: "Mrs. Mero came of the vigorous and pronounced Kalloch stock, that so thoroughly made its impression upon the religious, social and business life of Knox and adjoining counties. She was a woman of ready wit, quick to answer a question, full of resources, and with a heart and spirit that should ever characterize the true follower of Christ. With a broad and benevolent fellowship that took in all Christians of every denomination, she felt most at home and was seen at her best in the charming circle of her own Baptist fold. Sorrows she had, and sore bereavements --one the loss of her oldest son by the explosion of the Maine, in Havana harbor -but these did no disturb her faith in Him who doeth all things well. Her long life was a benediction; her death almost a translation. To spend the most of that bright June Sunday with her beloved in Heavenly Glory; to bathe in the River of Life, where old age finds the fountain of perpetual youth." The funeral of Mrs. Mero was held Tuesday. The services were conducted by Rev. B. F. Hope, pastor of the Winthrop street Baptist church, and the bearers were Rev. B. F. Hope, Walker Dunn, E. N. Carver and and Edwin F. Weston. The interment was made in the family lot at Mt. Pleasant cemetery.
Merriam, Barbara Mae, BANGOR - Barbara Mae Merriam, 63, went to be with her Lord on Aug. 1, 2004, after a 16-year battle with breast cancer. She was dearly loved by her husband of 43 years, children, grandchildren, and many of her former students and friends. Even in the face of her illness, her love, intelligence and sense of humor never flagged. Barbara is survived by her husband, Robert Merriam; daughter, Lisa Persson; two sons, John and Joel Merriam; sister, Beverly Erickson; grandsons, John R. Merriam, Joshua Merriam and Andrew Persson; granddaughters, Amber Merriam, Hannah Persson and Emily Merriam; great-granddaughter, Mackenzie Kettell; niece, Karen Riley; nephew, Paul Erickson. She was predeceased by her father, John Robert Allen; mother, Mildred (Gardner) Allen. The family will hold a private memorial service at a later date. Memorial donations in Barbara’s name may be sent to CancerCare of Maine care of Eastern Maine Charities, P.O. Box 404, Bangor, ME 04402-0404. Friends and former students are encouraged to send notes and remembrances to Robert Merriam to be included in a book of memories. Arrangements by Memorial Alternatives, 1225 Broadway, Bangor.
Merriam, Doris L., (June 23): Rockland -- Doris L. Merriam, 88, a life-long resident here, died Friday, June 20 2003 at her home after a long illness. Born in Rockland, Dec. 8, 1914, she was the daughter of John A. and Olive Kalloch Blackman. Educated in local schools she was a 1932 graduate of Rockland High School. Throughout her life, Mrs. Merriam lived in only two houses. On Jan. 7, 1935, she married Paul D. Merriam in Rockland. For several years she worked part time at Rockland Public Library, and after raising her family, worked another 10 years as assistant librarian, retiring in 1971. For more than 50 years, she enjoyed keeping a daily journal that has become a cherished part of Merriam family history. She was a devoted mother and homemaker. As a small child, she once attended a circus with her father, where she discovered a fascination and love for elephants. She has since collected them in many different forms. For more than 68 years, she was an active member of the First Baptist Church of Rockland, where she was an active member of the MacDonald Sunday school class. Long active in her community, she was a member of the Mid-Coast Audubon Society, Shore Village Historical Society, Oyster River Bog Association, and the Owls Head Transportation Museum. Mrs. Merriam was pre-deceased by three siblings and one son, Parker S. Merriam, II. She is survived by her husband, Paul, of 68 years; five sons, Paul G. "Gil" Merriam of Rockland; Robert D. and his wife Barbara of Bangor; Kendall A. and his wife Phyllis of Richmond; Marshall G. and his wife Paula of Owls Head; Fred B. and Joan of Bucksport; one daughter, Joy L. and her husband Rev. Robert Peters of Mexico; one brother Rev. John A. Blackman and his wife Dorothy of Edmeston, N.Y.; 12 grandchildren; 12 great-grandchildren as well as several nieces and nephews. Friends are invited to visit with the Merriam family from 6 to 8 p.m., Tuesday, June 24, 2003 at the Burpee, Carpenter & Hutchins Funeral Home, 110 Limerock St., Rockland, where a celebration of her life will be held at 11 a.m., Wednesday. The Reverend Gabriel Rogers will officiate. Interment will follow in Achorn Cemetery, Old County Road, Rockland. Memorial contributions may be made to either First Baptist Church of Rockland, 215 Limerock St., Rockland, 04841 or Friends of Rockland Public Library, P.O. Box 764, Rockland, 04841. (From "The Village Soup", www.villagesoup.com). (Doris' photos).
Merriam, Fred, BUCKSPORT -- Fred Blackman Merriam, 56, died at home June 29. 2004. He was born Aug. 30, 1947, in Rockland, a son of Doris B. and Paul D. Merriam. He graduated from Rockland District High School in 1965. Upon graduation. he enlisted in the U.S. Coast Guard; he served on the USS Humboldt for two years and then was stationed on Nantucket Island, Mass. After receiving a degree from Beal College in Bangor, he worked at Maine Distributors for 30 years as an operations manager and head of technology. In the 1970s he was an active member of the Bucksport Area Jaycees. He also was an active member of the Sub 5 track club, serving as president for three years. He was the “voice of Maine running” on WZON sports radio. In 2000 he started a race result company called How’d I Do? He enjoyed running, kayaking, island hopping, and playing steel drums with Steel Appeal. Mr. Merriam is survived by his wife, Joan Merriam of Bucksport: three children, Traci Merriam of Bucksport, Jason Merriam and his wife, Amy Campbell. of Rockport, and Aaron Merriam and his wife, Julie, of Cape Elizabeth; two grandchildren, Nicholas and Sarah Merriam; his father of 72 Mechanic St., Rockland; five siblings, Gilly Merriam of Owls Head, Kendall Merriam and his wife, Phyllis, of Richmond, Robert Merriam and his wife, Barbara, of Bangor, Mark Merriam and his wife, Paula, of Owls Head, and Joy Peters and her husband, Bob, of Mexico, Maine; his father-in-law, Fred Morong of Camden; in-laws Keta Martin of Camden, and Wayne and Caroline Morong of Camden; friends Peter, Faith, Mike and Ellie Carr of Bucksport; and many nieces and nephews. He was predeceased by his mother; a brother, Parker Merriam; an infant son, Allan Merriam; and his mother-in-law, Ruth Morong. There will be a memorial service 3 p.m. Monday at the Bucksport waterfront on Flag Point. A reception will follow at Elm Street Congregational Church. Memorial donations may be made to Bucksport Area Cultural Arts Society, P.O. Box 1111, Bucksport, ME 04416, to help complete the final touches on the Bucksport Area Auditorium. (The Courier-Gazette, 7/1/04).
Merriam, Paul D., By Burpee, Carpenter & Hutchins Funeral Home, Inc. - ROCKLAND (Aug 22): Paul D. Merriam, 94, husband of the late Doris Blackman Merriam died peacefully Sunday, August 20, 2006, at the Homestead in Owl's Head where he had resided for the past two years. Born in Belmont, Massachusetts, February 3, 1912, he was the son Parker Small and Hattie Emery Merriam. Spending most of his youth in Owls Head, Paul was a 1930 graduate of Rockland High School and attended the University of Maine. He worked at the Rockland Post Office for thirty-one years first as a clerk in the finance office and later as Assistant Postmaster. He retired in 1971 but continued his active life in civic affairs, in his church and as a volunteer in numerous local organizations for the next three decades. Both before and after retirement this included the First Baptist Church of Rockland where he sang in choir and with the men's quartet and served as church treasurer for several years. He was a member local Masonic bodies of Rockland, serving as Master of the Rockland Lodge of Masons and as member of the King Solomon Temple, The Scottish Rites, the Maine Consistory. As a founding member of the Rockland School District, which was responsible for building Rockland's two new elementary schools in the 1940s and 1950s, he was elected to each successive term and served as its only treasurer until 1959 when MSAD 5 was formed to replace it. He was also a founding member of the Shore Village Historical Society (now the Rockland Historical Society), a trustee and treasurer of the Rockland Cemetery Association, a trustee of the Northeast Health Foundation and a member of the Rockland Kiwanis Club for many years. He also served on numerous civic and municipal boards and committees. In 1978 he was honored by receiving the Rockland Jaycee's "Annual Distinguished Service Award." Paul loved the outdoors and nature, especially the woods and the shore. His children remember fondly the Sunday afternoon walks with him in the woods and along the shore where he taught them where to find spruce gum and many other things about Maine's natural environment. This love of the natural world was also reflected in his long-time membership in the Midcoast Audubon Society and the Oyster River Bog Association, for both of which he served as a trustee. Retirement afforded him an opportunity to spend much more time outdoors, especially in the woods at the Owls Head Transportation Museum where he was an early member. There, almost single-handedly, he created, marked and maintained a system of trails and quiet clearings in the woods on both sides of the entrance road. In 1979, the directors of the museum honored him by dedicating this effort as the "Paul Merriam Nature Park" and granted him a lifetime membership. He was also well known in his southend neighborhood and by regular passers-by for his meticulous care of his own yard, where he spent many hours each week in season keeping his trees, shrubs, and especially his lawn, well-groomed. Into his nineties, he continued to use mostly hand tools and a vintage non-powered push mower for that purpose. According to his children, Paul was a good and loving father who took a keen interest in their education and activities. Whether it was a PTA meeting or fund-raiser, the scouts, school activities or sports, he was usually actively involved. He placed a high premium on education, and it is a tribute to him that all of his children who lived to adulthood earned degrees in higher education. He was pre-deceased by his wife of 68 years Doris, in 2003, sons Parker S. Merriam II, Fred B. Merriam, and brother Donald E. Merriam. He is survived by four sons Paul G. "Gil" Merriam of Rockland, Robert D. Merriam of Bangor, Kendall A. Merriam and his wife Phyllis of Rockland, Marshall G. Merriam and his wife Paula of Owl's Head; one daughter, Joy Peters and her husband Rev. Robert Peters of Mexico, Maine; a daughter-in-law, Joan Merriam of Bucksport; two sisters Virginia Thomas of Camden and Dorothea Gross of Eugene, Oregon; twelve grandchildren, Steven Merriam and Karyn Bolter of San Diego, California, Lisa Persson, John Merriam and Joel Merriam of Bangor, Peter Merriam of San Antonio, Texas, Daniel Merriam of Rockport, Traci Merriam of Bucksport, Jason Merriam of Rockport, Aaron Merriam of South Portland, Matthew Peters of Mexico, ME., Jonathan Peters of Clarksville, TN; nineteen great grandchildren; one great-great granddaughter as well as several nieces and nephews. Visiting hours will be held from 7 to 9 p.m., this evening (Tuesday, Aug. 22), at Burpee, Carpenter & Hutchins Funeral Home, 110 Limerock Street, Rockland, where a funeral service will be held at 11 a.m., Wednesday, Aug. 23. The Reverend Gabriel Rogers will officiate. Interment will follow in Achorn Cemetery, Rockland. Those who wish may make memorial contributions to First Baptist Church, 215 Limerock Street, Rockland, ME 04841 or to Rockland Historical Society, P.O. Box 1331, Rockland, ME 04841. (From "The Village Soup", www.villagesoup.com). (Photo from obituary).
Millay, Cora Buzzell, The death of Cora Buzzell Millay occurred at her winter home in Camden February 5  as a result of a cerebral hemorrhage. Mrs. Millay who was the oldest of six children was born in Lincolnville, Maine 1863. She married Henry Tolman Millay and after her marriage lived in Rockland, Union and Camden. She was the mother of three brilliant daughters, Edna St. Vincent (Mrs. Eugene Boissevain), Norma (Mrs. Charles Ellis), and Kathleen (Mrs. Howard Young). For many years her career was the rearing and supporting of these three daughters. She always had both taste and talent for writing, but circumstances compelled her to curb her ambitions while her daughters were young. Shortly after the success of the eldest daughter they migrated to New York. Not the least interesting personality in this famous group of young woman was the mother, of whom the eldest wrote: “For all the good I know, was taught me out of two gray eyes, a long time ago.” After seeing her daughters successfully established in their professional careers she turned to her own talents and began to write her first book “Little Otis,” a collection of verse about an imaginary little boy, was published in 1928 and attracted wide interest. Even during the New York years, Mrs. Millay kept a foot hold in Maine and purchased a summer home on Rowe Hill where she did much of her writing. Most of her time in recent years has been devoted to writing. It is said that at the time of her death she was at work on a biography of her daughters. Mrs. Millay was buried at Austerlitz, New York, in the private burying ground on Mrs. Bossevain’s estate just outside the city. (Newspaper source?).
-- Mrs. Cora Buzzell Millay, who died in Camden Feb. 5 at 99 Chestnut Street as the result of a shock, was born in Belfast 67 years ago in what was then the Emery house, and now the residence of Chas. E. Field. She has frequently visited in Belfast and has read before the B.P.W. Club of which she was an honorary member. She was the mother of three talented daughters and owned a cottage at the top of Howe Hill, Melvin Heights, called Grandpa's Farm, where she spent many summers on the top of the hill overlooking Megunticook Lake, with a view of unsurpassing beauty for miles around. There she wrote children's stories, especially her "Little Otis," the dream-child of her imagination, and many a nature sonnet came from her pen while surrounded by the beauty of her summer home. Last fall when the cold weather came she decided to remain in Camden where she could be alone. Her purpose for being quiet was to write the memoirs of her three talented daughters, Edna St. Vincent Milly, (Mrs. Boisseivain), the lyric poet; Kathleen Millay, (Mrs. Howard Young), now in Europe, writer of books and poetry, and Miss Norma Millay, (Mrs. Charles Ellis) known on the state. (Newspaper clipping from Orlando Sanborn scrapbook).
Millay, Edna St. Vincent, EDNA ST. V. MILLAY FOUND DEAD AT 58 - Noted Poet Succumbs of Heart Attack in Upstate Home, Body Discovered 8 Hours Later - WON PULITZER PRIZE IN ‘22 - Also Scored Success With Book for Opera, "King’s Henchman," and "The Harp-Weaver" - Special to THE NEW YORK TIMES - AUSTERLITZ, N. Y., Oct. 19 - Edna St. Vincent Millay, the famous poet, was found dead at the foot of the stairs in her isolated home near here at 3:30 P.M. today. Her physician said she died of a heart attack after a coronary occlusion. She was 58 years old. She was dressed in a nightgown and slippers when her body was found by James Pinnie, a caretaker, who had arrived to fix a fire for the evening. The Columbia County coroner estimated that she had been dead for eight hours. Her nearest neighbor lived a mile away. Miss Millay had lived alone in the Berkshire hills near the Massachusetts border, ten miles southwest of Chatham, N. Y., since her husband died on Aug. 20, 1949. He was Eugen Jan Boissevain, a retired New York importer. Spokesman for Three Decades - Edna St. Vincent Millay was a terse and moving spokesman during the Twenties, the Thirties and the Forties. She was an idol of the younger generation during the glorious early days of Greenwich Village when she wrote what critics termed a frivolous but widely known poem which ended: My candle burns at both ends, It will not last the night; But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends, It gives a lovely light! All critics agreed, however, that Greenwich Village and Vassar, plus a gypsy childhood on the rocky coast of Maine, produced one of the greatest American poets of her time. In 1940 she published in THE NEW YORK TIMES Magazine a plea against isolationism which said, “There are no islands any more,” and during the second World War she wrote of the Nazi massacre of the Czechoslovak city of Lidice: The whole world holds in its arms today The murdered village of Lidice, Like the murdered body of a little child, Innocent, happy, surprised at play. Before this, when Miss Millay won the Pulitzer Prize for poetry in 1922, her work. had become more profound and less personal as she grew out of the “flaming youth” era in the Village. The nation and the world had become her concern. Was Raised in Maine - Miss Millay was born In Rockland, Me., on Feb. 22, 1892, in an old house “between the mountains and the sea” where baskets of apples and drying herbs on the porch mingled their scents with those of the neighboring pine woods. She was the eldest of three sisters, brought up by their mother, the former Cora Buzelle [sic]. Of the younger sisters, Norma became an actress and Kathleen a writer, whose first novel, published in 1927, was succeeded by fairy stories, short stories, plays and verse. Floyd Dell, novelist and unofficial historian of the Village in the early Twenties, has written how the mother worked to bring up her daughters in “gay and courageous poverty.” Edna, the tomboy of the family, was usually called “Vincent” by her mother and sisters. Her talent was recognized and encouraged and poetry was read and reread in the household. At 14 she won the St. Nicholas Gold Badge for poetry, the first of many honors. In the poem that gave its name to her volume, “The Harp-Weaver,” some have discovered the inspiration of her poor youth and her mother's devotion. Edna entered Vassar late. She was then 21 years old, but when she was 18 she had finished the first part of her first long poem. “Renascence” and at 20 had ended it. It was published in a prize contest, which incidentally, it did not win. Sonnets and lyrics followed while she still was in college. She was graduated In 1917 and came to live in the Village, remaining for years, something of a tradition in her college. Miss Millay, says Floyd Dell, was in those days “a frivolous young woman, with a brand-new pair of dancing slippers and a mouth like a valentine,” young, red-haired and unquestionably pretty. But the Village was the wartime Village, and Miss Millay took the radical stand. John Reed, Communist and war correspondent, was among her friends. Inez Milholland, feminist leader, to whom the sonnet "The Pioneer” is a tribute, was one of her admirers. In a play, “Aria da Capo,” written in 1921, she expressed her hatred of war, and it has been recorded that she haunted court rooms with her pacifist friends, reciting to them her poetry to comfort them while juries decided on their cases. With Provincetown Players - At first poetry in Greenwich Village did not pay, and Miss Millay turned to the theatre, briefly. She acted without pay with the Provincetown Players in their converted stable on Macdougal Street and got a part in a Theatre Guild production. For some time she did hack writing for magazines under a pseudonym. It was her second volume of verses, “A Few Figs From Thistles,” that turned national attention to the nine-foot-wide house on Bedford Street where she lived. There followed “Second April” in 1921 and “The Lamp and the Bell” and a morality play, “Two Slatterns and a King,” in the same year, and in 1922, with the Pulitzer Prize, her position as a poet was established. “The Harp-Weaver” was published In 1923, and then the Metropolitan Opera House commissioned Miss Millay to write a book for the score of an opera composed by Deems Taylor. For her plot she went to the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle of Eadgar, King of Wessex, a story not unlike that of Tristan and Isolde, and the result was “The King’s Henchman,” called by one writer the most effectively and artistically wrought American opera ever to reach the stage. It was produced at the Metropolitan Opera as the most important production of the 1927 season, with Lawrence Tibbett, Edward Johnson and Florence Easton, and later was taken on an extensive tour. Within twenty days of the publication of the poem in book form four editions were exhausted, and it was calculated that Miss Millay’s royalties from her publishers ran to $100 a day. In the summer of 1927 the time drew near for the execution of Nicola Sacco and Bartolomeo Vanzettti, Boston Italians whose trial and conviction of murder became one of the most celebrated labor causes of the United States. Only recently recovered from a nervous breakdown, Miss Millay flung herself into the fight for their lives. (New York Times, Oct. 20, 1950). (Photo from obituary, Edna's Notable Kallochs page).
A STILLED VOICE - Those who love beauty mourn the passing of Edna St. Vincent Millay. There have been many of her contemporaries who were proud of her flaming gifts and saluted her, rightfully, as one of this country’s most eminent personages in the arts. Her stature was beyond cavil. She brought honor to the country and to the society from which she came. Beyond that eminence, however, and perhaps behind it, too, was the fact that Miss Millay could speak so personally and so passionately to any who cared to listen. She was a "poet's poet” and a “lover’s poet” and sometimes a crusader’s poet as well. In those various appellations lay the fact that she was the uniquely personal poet of those multiplied thousands who loved her work and loved her for it. She gave a glorious voice to many who were inarticulate. She spoke for all the disciples of mysterious beauty all her life. And In one great moment, also, she gave the soul of this nation, and indeed the whole of the free world, its ultimate redeeming challenge. (New York Times, Oct. 21, 1950).
MISS MILLAY’S FUNERAL - Private Service Held for Poet at Her Home in Austerlitz, N. Y. - Special to THE NEW YORK TIMES - AUSTERLITZ, N. Y., Oct. 22 - A private funeral service for Edna St. Vincent Millay, the poet, was held today at 3 P. M. in her nearby Berkshire hills home, Steeple Top. Only a score of relatives and close friends were present. Her sister, Mrs. Norma Millay Ellis, read some of Miss Millay’s poems and Allan Ross MacDougal, a writer, read Miss Millay’s “Dirge Without Music.” Mrs. Franklin P. Adams played Beethoven’s Appassionata on the piano. Miss Millay was found dead of a heart attack in her home on Thursday. Her age was 58. In 1923 she received the Pulitzer Prize for “The Harp Weaver.” She was the widow of Eugen Jan Boissevain, a retired New York importer, who died Aug. 20, 1949. (New York Times, Oct. 23, 1950).
Millay, Kathleen, KATHLEEN MILLAY, SISTER OF THE POET - Novelist, Writer of Verse and Fairy Tales Dies at 46 in Hospital Here - HAD WORKED IN WAR PLAN - Quit to Apply for the Wacs — Husband, Playwright H. I. Young, Is in England - Kathleen Millay of 65 Bedford Street, author, poet and sister of Edna St. Vincent Millay, the poet died Tuesday night In St. Vincent’s Hospital. Her age was 46. Miss Millay was the wife of Howard I. Young, playwright, now In England. Born In Union, Me., she was a daughter of Henry Tolman and Cora L. Buzzelle [sic] Millay. She was graduated from the Hartridge School, Plainfield, N. J, in 1917, and studied at Vassar College from 1917 to 1920. Her works included: Novels, "Wayfarer,” 1926, and “Against the Wall,” 1929. Fairy tales, “The Very Little Giant” and ‘Whirligiggle and the King’s Beard,” 1934, and "Plup Plup’s Housewarming,” 1935. Verse, “The Evergreen Tree,” 1927; “The Hermit Thrush,” 1929; “The Beggar at the Gate,” 1931, and “Of All the Animals,” 1932. Plays, “Persephone,” 1932; “Black of the Moon,” 1934; “The Man Who Became a Bird,” 1935, and “Hollywood Wife,” 1939, and many short stories. In recent weeks she bad been working In a war plant in New Jersey. She left this work and applied for admission to the Wacs shortly before she became ill. In a review of her “The Hermit Thrush” In THE NEW YORK TIMES Book Review of April 26, 1929, the writer said: “Like her sister, Miss Kathleen Millay devotes herself to the lyric. She has something of the same gift of swift verse, of evanescent beauty, light and shade caught at the moment of one passing into the other. For quick little snatches of poetry, reminding one somewhat of Emily Dickinson In her nature poems, Miss Kathleen Millay attains wonderfully pleasing results, delighting her reader with a breath of song as momentary as that of the hermit thrush of which she, sings.” Besides her husband and her sister, Edna, Miss Millay leaves another sister, Mrs. Charles Ellis. (New York Times, Sept. 23, 1943). (Photo from obituary).
Minotto, Count Demetrius, Father of Count Minotto Dies After Long Illness, (Chicago Tribune Foreign News Service), (By Special Cable), Berlin, May 17, - Count Demetrius Minotto, father of Count James Minotto, husband of Ida May Swift, died at Wannassee, a suburb of Berlin, on May 11, after a long illness. The announcement was published today by the widow, the former Deatache Theatre star, Agnes Sorma. (Chicago Daily Tribune May 18, 1920).
Minotto, Countess Agness, Countess Minotto Dies In Mountain Home, Crown King - Madame Agness Minotto, Italian Countess, sportswoman, once the toast of Germany as the Sarah Bernhardt of the Imperial Theatre, will be buried at 4:00 O’clock this afternoon in the little mining town cemetery in Crown King, where she lived her last days and died Thursday night. At her funeral will be, James Minotto, her son, Mrs. Madame Swift Minotto, her daughter-in-law, and a group of sorrowing neighbors of the lofty mountain community, for with the snow making trails well-nigh impassable and a 65-mile journey for automobiles to reach the spot only 20 miles away on airline, it would be difficult to do otherwise than conduct the obsequies there. Yesterday in Prescott there died a man who once experienced the difficulties of that Alpine region. Horace Yeomans pioneer freighter 35 years ago brought a dead man out of the Crown King Cemetery in wintertime for burial in Prescott, but he used 40 miners to break trial and to hold the casket of rough pine planks balanced on the back of a sturdy horse. The death of Madame Minotto was due to a heart disease and not, according to the countess’ physician, an after effect of a fall from her horse last August. At that time a special train, the last to be run over the since abandoned and demolished line to Crown King, brought the countess to Prescott for hospital treatment after she had lain for hours in mountain chalet. “Jimmy” Minotto, now a rancher and no longer know as “Count” and his wife, a daughter of the Chicago Swifts, beat the storm to the bedside of the Countess and so did Lester Ruffner. But the best mountain drivers in Prescott have been ordered for the sad procession of cars that will buck the snow this morning to carry friends to Crown King for the burial. Having enjoyed the plaudits of the multitudes and the atmosphere of half a dozen European counts, Countess Minotto chose to end her days in her beloved mountain home near here. With a servant of two she stayed at Crown King eschewing society that had welcomed her for her personal charms, and it was her wish that her grave should be there. She had sold her possessions in Germany, disposed of her art treasures and had settled down to watch the colorful, but sometimes grim changes that light and shadow play upon the loftiest mountain chain of central Arizona. Her principle recreation continued to be horse back riding, although she was 63 years old. And she chose no gaited thoroughbred, but a hardy cowpony for her riding. Countess Minotto was famous all throughout Europe as Agness Zaremba, her stage name. OF DISTINGUISHED FAMILY - Countess Minotto was born Agness Zaremba of Polish parents, at Breslau, Germany on May 17, 1865. She became the foremost actress of Germany, with a fame and vogue word-wide. Governments bestowed upon her their graces, and counts and kings paid her tribute. She was know in every capital of Europe and her marriage in 1890 to Demetrio, Count Minotto of the old Italian nobility, was an occasion. James Minotto was the only descendant of the marriage. His father died in 1920. The strong character that had made her the outstanding player on Europe’s dramatic stage served her in the new role as wife of the Count Minotto in that broad social stage to which she had been called to play a distinguished part. And yet when retirement came, it was not the glories of a villa in Italy or a chateau in France but to America and finally to that part of it which she could see from the mountain in the Bradshaw’s. She had bought the old Harrington home and had it remodeled with every convenience that could be installed. She made her place among the people there just as neighborly as her house was homelike. Not coming often to Prescott, she counted on seeing her friends at Crown King where they were always welcome for visits. It was probably the most poignant grief of her last hours that she could not have her grandchildren with her, the children of “Jimmy” and Mrs. Minotto. (Prescott Journal Miner, Feb 12, 1927. This obituary was provided by: Arizona State Library, Archives and Public Records, - Transcribed and edited by: Neal Du Shane 5/9/05).
CROWN KING MOURNS PASSING OF ONCE NOTED ACTRESS - SON ADVISES FRIENDS AGAINST DANGEROUS MOUNTAIN TREK - PRESCOTT, Feb. 12 – (A.P.) – Madam E. Agness Minotto, Italian countess, sports woman and once the toast of Germany as the Sara Bernhardt of the Imperial theater was buried this morning in the little mining town cemetery [buried on her private property not the Crown King Cemetery] at Crown King where she lived the last few days of her life. Madam Minotto died Thursday night. At her funeral were James Minotto, her son; Mrs. Idamay Swift Minotto, her daughter-in-law, and a group of sorrowing neighbors from the lofty mountain community. Isolated in the hamlet, 20 miles from Prescott in an air line, all day by a heavy fell of snow, James watching at the bier of his mother, had recourse to the forest service telephone to ask friends not to attempt the trip to Crown King over snow-covered roads. “All I can say about my mother is that she was willing to give up her life in Europe where so many people knew her and come here to Crown King and make her home. She loved it here and that’s why I am burying her at this place,” the former Italian count, now a Prescott rancher, said over the telephone. Two motor cars traveled the slippery road today, one carrying a priest and one filled with flowers. HERO'S DEATH RECALLED - It was something of a coincidence that there died here today a man who once braved the dangers of the Alpine-like region around Grown King to bring to Prescott for burial one of his comrades. He was Horace Yeoman, pioneer freighter. Thirty-five years ago Yeoman used 40 miners to break trail and hold the casket of his friend, balanced on the back of a horse, in the trek from Crown King. The countess’ physician said her death was due to heart disease and not the effects of a fall from her horse last August. At the time a special train, the last to be run over the since abandoned Crown King Line, brought the countess here for treatment after she had suffered for hours in her mountain home. Madame Minotto was born at Breslau Germany of Polish parents. In 1890 she married Count Demetrio Minotto of Rome, whose death occurred in 1920. James is their only son. (Phoenix Gazette, Feb 12, 1927, p.16, - Transcribed and edited by: Neal Du Shane 6/24/05).
AGNES SORMA BURIED. Noted German Actress Eulogized at Crypt of Count Minotto - Berlin, Sept. 7, - Agnes Sorma (Countess Agnes Minotto), one of Germany's greatest actresses, was laid to final rest today in the family crypt of Count Minotto on the shore of beautiful Lake Wansee at the side of her late husband and near the grave of the unfortunate poet, von Kleist, whose "Katchen von Heilbronn" she played so often. The body of the distinguished artist, who died in the United States arrived from Hamburg last night. The funeral was conducted according to the rites of the Catholic Church and was attended not only by a large number of prominent representative of the theatrical world but also by representatives of the Government and luminaries in the world of art and science. At the grave Felix Hollander, dramatic author, and Alexander Hoisse, noted German actor, delivered poetical tributes to their departed co-worker, stressing the belief that her place in German dramatic art will never be filled. (New York Times Sept. 8, 1927). (Photos: "Agnes Sorma - Lessing-Theater", Countess Agnes Minotto).
Minotto, Ida May (Swift), MRS. MINOTTO, SWIFT DAUGHTER, DIES IN PHOENIX - Friends here were advised
yesterday of the death in Phoenix, Ariz., of Mrs. Idamay Swift Minotto, daughter of the late
Louis F. Swift, who
retired as chairman of the board of Swift & Co. in 1932. She was 51 years old and had been ill six months.
In 1916, she was married to James Minotto, an Italian nobleman who was born in Berlin. He is now a state senator
in the Arizona legislature. The Minotto moved to Phoenix in 1925. In addition to her husband, Mrs. Minotto
leaves a son, Demetrius, seaman 2d class in the navy, now stationed at Miami, Fla., a daughter,
Idamay Minotto, and a
brother, Louis F. Swift Jr. of Wheaton. Services will be held today in Phoenix. The body will be returned
to Lake Forest for burial.
(Chicago Tribune (IL) - October 19, 1943).
Deceased Name: Idamay Swift Minotto - Idamay Swift Minotto of Phoenix, Ariz., and Lake Forest, Ill., beloved wife of James Minotto, devoted mother of Demetrius and Idamay Minotto, fond sister of Louis F. Swift Jr. Services will be held by members of the family and close friends at the Swift family mausoleum in Lake Forest cemetery on Saturday, Oct. 23, at 11 a.m. (Chicago Tribune (IL) - October 23, 1943).
Rites for Mrs. Minotto to Be Held This Morning - Deceased Name: Mrs. Idamay Swift Minotto - Services for Mrs. Idamay Swift Minotto, daughter of the late Louis F. Swift, who died early this week in Phoenix, Ariz., will be held at 11 a.m. today at the Swift family mausoleum in Lake Forest cemetery. Mrs. Minotto is survived by her husband and a son and daughter. (Chicago Tribune (IL) - October 23, 1943). (Photo page).
Minotto, James, James Minotto, 89, a former U.S. diplomat and prominent figure in Arizona ranching, banking and politics, died Friday at his home. Services will be at noon Monday in the Brophy Chapel, 4715 N. Central. Minotto held many jobs in his lifetime, including five years abroad working on President Truman's Marshall Plan, which was designed to boost the postwar economy of Europe. His wife, Julia, said he was know as a man who "refused to retire." Minotto represented Maricopa County in the Senate in the 11th, 14th and 16th Arizona legislatures. He served as chairman of the Senate Committee on Agriculture and Irrigation and the Senate Appropriations Committee. He was a pioneer in the Bank of Phoenix and was a special consultant for Valley National Bank. He was instrumental in starting the Maricopa County Sheriff's Posse and served as captain for nine years. Minotto was born Feb. 17, 1891, in Berlin. He was the son of a German actress, Agnes Sorma, and Count Demetrio Minotto, an Italian historian. After graduating from Potsdam Gymnasium, which offered the equivalent of two years of college, Minotto worked for the Deutsche Bank in Berlin until 1914, when he came to the United States to work for Guaranty Trust Co. in New York. He was sent to South America to study banking conditions, and after returning he set up and headed a Latin American department for the bank. He went on to Equitable Trust Co., now the Chase Manhattan Bank, in a similar capacity. In 1916, he married Idamay Swift, of the Swift meat-packing family, in Chicago, where he was vice president of Boulevard National Bank for four years. During that time, he renounced the title of count and became a naturalized citizen. The Minottos had a son Mitri, who died in 1951, a daughter, Sissie Minotto Walker. The family arrived in Arizona in 1924. A year later, Minotto bought the ranch of St. John's Mission in Phoenix and turned it into a dairy ranch. He had said, "I always wanted to be a cowboy," and he got his wish in Arizona. Minotto operated the Z Triangle Ranch in Walnut Grove more than 20 years and the V-Bar-V Cattle Ranch, a 100,000-acre spread straddling Yavapai and Coconino counties, for about 10 years. He rode in 60 to 70 rodeos, competing in calf roping and team tying. In 1931, he put up $16,000 for the Phoenix Rodeo and was asked to stage the World's Fair Rodeo in Chicago in 1933. Referring to his world travels and love of ranching, Minotto frequently said, "I am the only person I know who can rope a calf and row a gondola." Minotto was elected to the board of governors of the Salt River Valley Water Users' Association in 1929. He was re-elected five times. He made an unsuccessful bid for governorship in 1934. He was appointed associate to the president of Cudahy Meat Packing Co. in 1947 and handled the firm's local operations for a year. His first wife died in 1943, and a year later he married Julia Franklin. They had a son, James Jr., and a daughter, Anina Minotto Gadd. After his resignation from Cudahy, the Minottos took a years vacation in Europe where Mr. Minotto studied the Marshall Plan's effects in Italy, France, Austria, Belgium, Luxembourg, Denmark, Sweden and Norway. During the trip, he wrote a series of 38 articles for The Arizona Republic. Upon his return, he reported to Truman and asked Americans to support the Marshall Plan. "It's the cheapest price America can pay for peace," Minotto said. He said the best way to avoid World War III would be to put the 200 million people on the west side of the Iron Curtain back on their feet. In 1950, Truman appointed him deputy chief of the Economic Cooperation Administration in Rome. One of his jobs was to encourage export trade. A year later, Minotto became chief of the Mission of the Mutual Security Agency and Foreign Operations Administration Headquarters in Lisbon, Portugal. He held the title of minister and served in Portugal for four years. When he returned to Arizona in 1955, Minotto spoke frequently to civic groups about the Marshall Plan. He told the State Senate, "Our best hope for peace is for a combined America and Europe to be strong enough so the Russians will feel it is a little too much to swallow." He wrote for The Republic again the Chicago Sun-Times in 1956 about conditions in Italy, France, Spain and Portugal. His articles included in-depth interviews with Prime Minister Antonio Salazar of Portugal and Generallissimo Francisco Franco of Spain. He returned to banking in 1956 as a special representative of the Valley National Bank's business-development department. In 1958, he took a two-month leave to do a report on the Caribbean and Central American region for the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. Minotto left VNB to start his own bank, the Bank of Phoenix, which opened in 1958. He was chairman of the board and president of the bank, which became Great Western Bank and Savings in 1970. He continued service to the government and in 1964, 1965 and 1968 served as a special consultant to various U.S. Senate committees. He was a public-relations consultant for Arizona Public Service Co., Western Savings and an associate broker at Ed Post Realty before retiring in 1977. The Italian Republic decorated him as commander with the Order of Merit. Until recent years, he was a member of the Phoenix Chamber of Commerce, Arizona Club, Navy League, Fraternal Order of Police, Elks Club, Woodman of the World, Paradise and Kiva Country clubs, the Moose Club, the Phoenix Real Estate Board and a California yacht club. He helped raise funds for the Phoenix Little Theater in the 1940s. Besides his wife, son and daughters, he is survived by a nephew, William Swift, whom he reared, and two grandchildren. Friends may call noon to 9 p.m. Sunday at A. L. Moore and Sons Mortuary, 333 W. Adams. Minotto's ashes will be buried at 2 p.m. Tuesday in Skull Valley Cemetery near Prescott. (Arizona Republic, Aug. 16, 1980). (Photos, James' gravesite, obit. photo).
Montgomery, Lucinda P., ST. GEORGE – Lucinda P. Montgomery, 71, affectionately referred to as “Nan”, died Saturday, December 12, 2009 at her daughters Tenants Harbor home, following a battle with cancer. Born in St. George, September 29, 1938, she was the daughter of Walter and Adrienne Jeanette Robinson Polky. Raised here, she attended local schools and was a 1956 graduate of St. George High School. For more than 35 years, she worked with DHS in Rockland, retiring in 1996. She then began working as office manager with her sons’ business, Montgomery Oil. A lifelong resident of St. George, Cindy was also a life member of Wiley’s Corner Grange and the First Baptist Church of St. George. Cindy enjoyed her family, gardening, cooking and having knit her first pair of mittens at the age of 5, continued in that craft throughout her life.. At Halloween, she gave mittens she had knit, to children visiting her home. Her children said she was ‘famous for her knitted Christmas stockings, which, in earlier years she sold to earn Christmas money. She also made ‘Nisua’, a Finnish bread, every year at Christmas. A devoted, single Mom, she worked to provide a home for her family, while staying actively involved with her children, and continued her involvement with the grandchildren as well. Other than her parents, Cindy was predeceased by one son, Randall W. Montgomery in 1961. She is survived by three sons, Reginald D. Montgomery, Russell E. ‘Hoggy’ Montgomery, Raymond A. Montgomery and his wife Joanna all of St. George; daughter, Lucinda ‘Cindy May’ Hall and her husband Glenn of Tenants Harbor; four brothers, Sylvanus Polky and his wife Barbara of North Carolina, Adrien Polky and his wife Diane of Fayette, Timothy Polky and his wife Kim, Hildane Polky and his wife Veronica all of St. George; sister, Nancy Copeland of Chatham, MA; and eight grandchildren, Tracey Montgomery, Allison Montgomery, Cheyenne Montgomery, Michael Percy, Alexander Hall, Ellery Montgomery, Haley Montgomery and Seanna Montgomery as well as many nieces and nephews. Family and friends are invited to visit from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m., and 6:00 to 8:00 p.m., Wednesday, December 23rd at Burpee, Carpenter & Hutchins Funeral Home, 110 Limerock Street, Rockland. A celebration of Cindy’s life will be held at 1:00 in the afternoon, Saturday, December 26th, at the St. George Baptist Church in Wiley’s Corner. The Reverend Walden Chandler will officiate. Interment will follow at the North Parish Cemetery, Wiley’s Corner. Those who wish may make memorial donations to the St. George Grange, 32 Wiley’s Corner Road, St. George, Maine 04860. (From Burpee Funeral Home). (Photo from obituary).
Moody, Jennie, THOMASTON [ME] -- Miss Jennie Moody, 96, died Monday [1/17/1972] in a local nursing home after a brief illness. She was born here, July 10, 1875, daughter of Frank Halsey and Lillius Kalloch Moody. Miss Moody graduated from Thomaston High School in 1874, and was one of the School's oldest living graduates. She was a member of the Thomaston Baptist Church, the Church's mission circle and Beta Alpha Sorority. She also was a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution in Newton Highlands, Mass., where she was a foster mother to many children several years. On her return to Thomaston, she worked as a clerk in several stores. Miss Moody has no known survivors. Funeral services will be held at 1 p.m. Thursday at the Thomaston Baptist Church. Spring Interment will be in the Village Cemetery in Thomaston.
Moody, Linwood, UNION [ME] -- Linwood Moody, 77, died at a Waterville hospital Wednesday [7/13/1983] after a long illness. Born at South Union on July 17, 1905, he was the son of Ernest L. and Lena Kalloch Moody. He was a retired railroad man and was especially interested in the narrow- gage railroads. He was the author of the book "The Two-Footer." He had also authored a booklet outlining the history of the Georges Valley Railroad, which later was reorganized as the Knox Railroad Company. Mr. Moody was a former employee of this railroad. He was also employed at one time in Brooks as agent for The Moosehead Railroad which ran to Belfast. Mr. Moody was noted as a humorist in his community. He was a member of the Seven Tree Grange, Union, and a member of the National Grange. Survivors include several cousins. A graveside committal service will be held Saturday, 2 p.m. at the Lakeview Cemetery, Union. Arrangements are with the Davis Funeral Home, Thomaston. (Linwood's photo page).
Morgan, William T., EAST HAVEN [CT] -- William T. Morgan, 64, retired East Haven Fire Department chief, died Saturday [1/12/1985] at Yale-New Haven Hospital after a long illness. The husband of Doris King Morgan, he lived at 92 Dewey Ave. Mr. Morgan was born in New Haven, May 8, 1920, son of Grace Evetts Morgan Pollard of East Haven and the late William Morgan, and lived in East Haven for 52 years. He started as a volunteer fireman at the Bradford Manor Hose Company 2, in 1942, and was a life member of the company. He was named to the Fire Department in 1955, and was appointed fire chief in April of 1973. He retired in 1982. Mr. Morgan was an instructor for the American Red Cross, East Haven chapter, and was past president of the East Haven Fire Fighters union, Local 1205, and a member of the New Haven County Chief's Association, the New England Chief's Association, and the National Fire Protection Association. He was director of the East Haven Teacher's Credit Union, 1973-1975, and president, 1975-1978; member of Adelphi Lodge 63 New Haven. He was a past patron of Myrtle Chapter 6, Order of the Eastern Star. Mr. Morgan was a member of the Christ & the Epiphany Church. In addition to his wife and mother, he leaves two sons, William J. Morgan and Thomas G. Morgan, both of East Haven; a sister, Grace Barrow of Virginia Beach, Va.; a brother, Harry Morgan of East Haven; and a grandchild. A funeral service will be held Wednesday at 11 a.m. in Christ & the Epiphany Church. Burial will be in East Lawn Cemetery. The W. S. Clancy Funeral Home, 43 Kirkham Ave., is in charge of arrangements.
Munson, Josiah, Funeral services for the late Josiah Munson took place this morning from the parlor of the Bonney Watson Co., the Rev. W.D. Simonds officiating. Internment followed at Lake View Cemetery. Mr. Munson died Saturday night at the Seattle General Hospital of pneumonia, after an illness lasting ten days. Mr. Munson first landed in Port Townsend in 1859 and had lived in this state ever since. For many years he had lived in Olympia and had held several important public positions in that time. He was a member of the Harmony Lodge No. 1 of Olympia that being the first Masonic lodge instituted in the State. Mr. Munson leaves a widow and seven children. The eldest is Mrs. G.R. Grant now living in Alemeda, Calif. Another daughter is Mrs. J. D. VanBuren also living in Alameda. A.J. Munson is Postmaster at Shelton and L.K. and Fred Munson also live there. Charles H. Is Captain and J.K. is Engineer on the Emily Keller, a boat plying the waters of Lake Washington. (Seattle Times, April ? 1903). (Photo page).
A note about these obituaries: Many of these obituaries are from clippings from our family historian and other family members and do not include the newspaper name. If anyone knows the newspaper source of any of these obituaries which do not have the source indicated, or notice any errors in the information, please notify the webmaster. Also if anyone is sending in a new obituary, please include the name of the newspaper and date.