Kalloch Family Obituaries

- C -

Please note - All new obituaries are now added directly to the deceased person's profile page in our Kalloch Family Reunion Association Tree on Ancestry, you can find them either listed under sources or in the person's media gallery.  Some of the newest obituaries for a given year are also posted in our annual Kalloch Family Newsletter.

In this section, I'm trying to link each person with photos and historical/biographical information for themselves and their family in the photo album section of the website.  If you have an obituary, photo, or other historical/biographical information that you would like to add, please notify the webmaster.  (See note)

A     B    C     D     E     F     G     H     I     J     K     L     M     N     O     P     Q     R    S    T     U    V     W     X Y Z

Carey, Grace M.,
SOUTH THOMASTON [ME] -- Mrs. Grace M. Carey, 88, widow of Robert W. Carey, died in a Farmington nursing home Saturday [2/11/1967].  She was born in Salem, Mass., Dec. 28, 1878, the daughter of Charles and Mary Kalloch Mansfield.  Mrs. Carey had worked as secretary in several Boston firms before marrying in 1925, and moved from Marblehead, Mass., to South Thomaston in the 1930's.  She was a member of the Universalist Church in Salem, and the Grange at St. George.  Surviving are two sons, Albert Carey of Kingfield and Everett Carey of Marblehead, Mass.; a daughter, Mrs. Eleanor Tongberg of Osterville, Mass.; 10 grandchildren and 21 great-grandchildren.  Services will be from the Universalist Church of Salem, at 2 p.m. Tuesday, and interment will be in Marblehead, Mass.

Carey, Robert W., SOUTH THOMASTON [ME] -- Robert W. Carey, of the St. George Road, Thomaston, formerly of Marblehead, Mass., died Tuesday [2/18/1964] at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Carl A. Thornberg in Cranford, N. J.  Death occurred during a visit with his daughter and followed a brief illness.  He was the husband of Grace Mansfield Carey of Thomaston.  He was born at Marblehead, Mass., July 14, 1887, the son of George W. and Ida Peach Carey.  Mr. Carey was a former selectman of Thomaston; a member of the Orient Lodge of Masons; and a member of Weymouth Grange; both of Thomaston.  Besides his wife and daughter, he is survived by two sons.  Funeral services will be held Friday at 2:30 p.m. at St. Stephen's Methodist Church, Marblehead.  Interment will be in Waterside Cemetery, Marblehead.  Friends and relatives may pay their respects Thursday from 3 to 5 and 7 to 9 p.m. at the Eustis Funeral Home in Marblehead.

Carter, Jean Mayhew., PORTLAND -- Jean was born on May 30, 1925, in Thomaston, to Marie Keller Hammond and Carlton Howard Hammond.  Jean grew up in South Portland, the second of five siblings. She worked for the Red Cross, N.E. Shipyard, Sealtest Ice Cream, and the Post Office.  Jean married Stanley Joe Mayhew after the war.  Jean and Joe raised their eight children (Linda, Kathleen, Laura, Louise, Michael, Brian, Joanne, and Ruth) in Falmouth.  In addition to being a homemaker, Jean was very active in her children's educations and was instrumental in insuring all her children completed higher education. Jean was a Brownie and Cub Scout Leader. She was a member of the School Board for nine years.  Always interested in local politics, she successfully ran for Town Council, retiring from the council after having served as the Chairperson for several years.  Jean's husband Joe died in 1980. In 1986, Jean married Thomas Carter who had three children, Hal, Anne and Bob. Tom and Jean, in their retirement, had the opportunity to travel the world and they embraced it, going to China, Russia, Europe, and South America. Jean and Tom moved to Raymond where Jean became active in Raymond community issues. She served on the Cemetery and Town Planning Committees. Tom Carter passed away in November 2011.  Jean will be greatly missed by her siblings, Carlene Farr, Malcolm Hammond, Cynthia Grady and Richard Hammond, (Norman predeceased her); her children; 27 grandchildren; and great-grandchildren.  She will be remembered as an enthusiastic participant in life, a motivated woman who spent her life working to make a better place for those in the community.  There will be a memorial service for all friends at 2 p.m. on Dec. 1, at the SMCC McKernan Hospitality Center, with a celebration to follow from 3-5 p.m.  (Portland Press Herald/Maine Sunday Telegram on November 25, 2012).

Chalmers, Deborah Jane, LINCOLNVILLE - Deborah Jane Chalmers, 50, of Fernald's Neck Road, died Sept. 12, 1999, at Penobscot Bay Medical Center, Rockport.  Born in Rockland on August 17, 1949, she was the daughter of George "Jack" Wood and Rae Ellen (Dennis) Wood.  She graduated from Rockland District High School in 1967.  Mrs. Chalmers is remembered by her family as being a great wife, mother and grandmother who enjoyed being involved in the lives of her family.  In addition to her husband of 30 years, Gerald H. Chalmers of Lincolnville, she is survived by two daughters, Robin Chalmers and her companion James Kalloch of Camden; Shawn Chalmers Johnson and husband, Russell Johnson of Lincolnville; two sons, Adam Chalmers and Jeremy Chalmers and his companion Kristy McKenney, all of Lincolnville; three granddaughters, Rebecca Chalmers Johnson, Amanda Johnson and Miranda Johnson, all of Lincolnville; one sister, Electa Cerce and husband, Pastor Steve Cerce of Camden; three brothers, George Wood and wife, Rebecca of Rockland, Frederick Wood of Florida and Raymond Wood; and several aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces, and nephews.  She will be sadly missed by those who knew and loved her.  By request, there are no visiting hours.  A graveside service will be held 1p.m. Saturday, Sept. 18, 1999, at Youngtown Cemetery, Route 52, Lincolnville, with Pastor Steve Cerce officiating. Burial will be after the service. Arrangements by Laite & Pratt Funeral Home, Camden.  (Bangor Daily News, September 15, 1999).

Collemer, Mrs. Aubrey G., LINCOLNVILLE – Mrs. Elsie M. Collemer, 78, wife of Aubrey G. Collemer, died in a Rockland hospital Tuesday.  She was born in Northport, Aug. 25, 1895, the daughter of Joseph and Rose Keller Heald.  She lived in Lincolnville 55 years and was a member of the United Christian Church.  Surviving besides her husband are five sons, Lawrence of Bridgeport, Penn., Raymon, Nathan, Reginal of Lincolnville and Norman of Northport; three daughters, Mrs. Eleanor Johnson of Camden, Mrs. Catherine Di Simone of Brooklyn, N.Y., Mrs. Marilyn Boyce of Essex Junction, Vt.; a brother, Benton Heald of Lincolnville Beach; two sisters, Mrs. Henrietta Knowlton of Camden, Mrs. Agnes Prince of Brunswick and 11 grandchildren.  Services will be in the Laite Funeral Home Thursday at 2 p.m., the Rev. Donald Henderson officiating and interment will be in Mountain View Cemetery, Camden.   (Orlando Sanborn Scrapbook, newspaper clipping).

Collemer, Frank S., LINCOLNVILLE BEACH – Frank S. Collemer, 79, died Saturday, May 4, 2013, at his home after a long illness. Born March 1, 1934, in Rockland, he was the son of Stanton H. and Berenice V. Oxton Collemer.  He grew up in Camden and Lincolnville, and attended schools in both communities. In earlier years, he worked on his father’s Lincolnville Beach, poultry farm. More recently, and until his retirement, he worked as a carpenter. He married Barbara G. Amborn, March 14, 1953, in Camden. Frank was a past member of Tranquility Grange, Lincolnville and attended Bayshore Union Church. He was a longtime member of Lincolnville Beach Fire Department and volunteered many hours in the construction of the new fire station, which bears his father’s name.  In addition to his parents, Frank was predeceased by his half brother, Edward Kobs. He is survived by his wife of 60 years, Barbara of Lincolnville Beach; two sons, Frank A. Collemer and wife, Deborah, of Warren, and Stanton Collemer of West Palm Beach, Fla.; three daughters and their husbands, Barbara and Dale Flint of Union, Deborah and George Knutson of Warren, and Tammie and Matthew Cates of Camden; cousin, Arthur Collemer of Camden, who Frank enjoyed visiting on a regular basis; nine grandchildren, Chrissy, Maegan, Jeremy, Sarah, Gretchen, Deborah, Erika, Chelsea and Morgan; as well as 11 great-grandchildren.  A celebration of Frank’s life will be held 11 a.m. Friday, May 10, at Bayshore Union Church, Route One, Lincolnville Beach, with the the Rev. Russell Bailey officiating. In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to Kno-Wal-Lin Homecare & Hospice, 170 Pleasant St., Rockland, ME 04841. Arrangements are in the care of Burpee, Carpenter & Hutchins Funeral Home, 110 Limerock St., Rockland. To share a story or memory with Frank’s family, please visit his online Book of Memories at www.bchfh.com.  (Bangor Daily News, 5/7/13).  (Photo from obituary).

Collemer, Nathan Colby, Nathan Colby Collemer, 67, died April 19, 2004, at the Perry Point Veterans Administration Medical Center in Maryland.  Nate was born in Camden, ME, December 21, 1936, the seventh child of Aubrey and Elsie (Heald) Collemer.  He spent his childhood on the family farm in Lincolnville, and was educated at local schools.  He earned a degree from Beal Business School in Bangor.  After a tour of duty with the U.S. Army in Germany, he was employed by the Tannery in Camden.  During this time, he married Phyllis Hall of Camden.  They were later divorced.  He then moved to Washington, DC where he resided and worked at the US Soldiers and Airmen’s Home for nearly 25 years.  As a young man, Nathan dealt courageously with physical challenges from a car accident.  Later in life, he had complications of heart and lung disease as a result of tobacco use.  He survived on life support since 2001.  He was a voracious reader, particularly interested in agriculture, trains and alternative medicine.  Some of his favorite authors were Zane Gray, Max Brand and Louis L’Amour.  He was an outstanding cribbage player.  We believe he is enjoying the next leg of his journey with those who have passed before him and is giving some stellar competition to cribbage players on the other side!  He also took great pleasure in following the stock market.  Nate cultivated a wide circle of friends and was a member of the Masons, King David’s Lodge no.62 in Lincolnville.  He is survived by a son, Michael Collemer (and wife Darlene) of Carlsbad, NM and a daughter, Deborah (Collemer) Lovely of Portland, ME.  Sisters include Elinor Johnson (and husband Edgar) of Camden, ME, Catherine DeSimone of Lincolnville, ME, Marilyn Boyce (and husband Reynold) of Essex Junction VT, a sister-in-law, Ann Collemer of Bridgeport, PA.  Surviving brothers are Ramon (and wife Margaret) and Reginald Collemer of Lincolnville, ME.  Two step-grandchildren, Kelly and Chad, and many cousins, nieces and nephews also survive him.  He was predeceased by his parents, brothers Laurence and Norman Collemer, and brother-in-law, Frank DeSimone.  The family is deeply appreciative of the nurses, doctors and other staff of the USSAH and Perry Point VA Medical Center for their remarkable care and sensitivity over the years.  A gathering for family and friends to celebrate and remember Nate’s life will start at noon on June 6 at the Tranquility Grange, Route 52 in Lincoinville, ME.  At 1:30PM a Memorial ceremony will be held at the Forsman Grounds, located at 284 US Route 173 in Searsmont, for those who wish an opportunity to say farewells, listen to and speak their memories.  His cremated remains will be scattered privately by family.  Memorial gifts may be sent to the Veteran’s organization of your choice, or to the Campaign for Tobacco-free Kids, Suite 1200, 1400 I Street NW, Washington, DC 20005.  (From typed obituary text, provided by Evelyn N. Kalloch, 6/13/05).  (Photo page).

Collins, Geneva, Graveside services were held at 1 p.m. Monday at Greenwood Cemetery in Islesboro, for Geneva Collins, 96 of Islesboro who died July 17 at a Belfast Nursing Home.  She was born in Islesboro, September 23, 1884, the daughter of Edward and Amy (Keller) Pendleton.  She was the wife of the late William Collins.  She was a member of the Free Baptist Church of Islesboro and the Sewing Circle of the church.  She is survived by one niece, one nephew and several cousins.  Arrangements were made by the Rackliffe Funeral Home in Belfast.   (Orlando Sanborn Scrapbook, newspaper clipping).

Coombs, Rachel (Boyd), COOMBS – At the family residence 402 Eleventh Avenue north February 20, 1911, Mrs. Rachel Coombs, aged 79 years.  Member Washington Pioneers’ Association.  Funeral services will be held at the parlors of Bonney-Watson Co., Third avenue and University street Wednesday at 1 p. m.  Pioneers and friends are invited to attend.  Interment at Lake View cemetery.  (The Seattle Post-Intelligencer - Tuesday, February 21, 1911).

Pioneer Woman Resident Dies of Pneumonia Attack - The funeral of Mrs. Rachel Coombs, for forty-two years a resident of Seattle, who died Monday at the home of her daughter, Mrs. J. W. Watson, 402 Eleventh avenue north, will be held this afternoon, at 1 o’clock, from the undertaking parlors of Bonney-Watson.  Mrs. Coombs came to Seattle in 1858 in a sailing vessel, via the Isthmus of Panama.  She was born in St. George, N.B. (sic), seventy-nine years ago.  Her husband, Samuel Coombs, died about three years ago.  When they arrived on Puget sound, in 1859, they first located at Port Madison, where they remained a few years.  Later they removed to Seattle.  She is survived by two sons–Mortimer Coombs, secretary of the Marine Engineers’ Association, and Ray Coombs, a painter, both of whom reside in Seattle.  (The Seattle Post-Intelligencer - Wednesday, February 22, 1911).  (Photo from obituary).  (Brother Capt. George W. Boyd's photo page).

Coombs, Samuel F., SUDDEN DEATH OF SAMUEL F. COOMBS - Served With Blaine in Maine Legislature Before Coming to Coast - MARIE CARRAU’S FRIEND - Noted for His Recollection of Events in Early Pioneer Days - Samuel F. Coombs, first justice of the peace of Seattle precinct and a resident of the Puget sound country for fifty-one years, died yesterday morning at his home 192 Eleventh avenue north, aged 77 years.  Until Tuesday night he had been in fairly good health and less than a week ago he was on the street.  Shortly after dinner Tuesday evening he complained of feeling ill. Dr. J. P. Sweeney an old friend of the family, was called, and the aged pioneer sank slowly, dying surrounded by the members of his family.  Possessed of a remarkable memory even in his declining years, Mr. Coombs was called many times as a witness in civil suits involving affairs long past.  He was a witness in the famous Sullivan-will case and was one of the friends and advisers of Marie Carrau, who was a claimant for the estate by reason of a noncupative will.  - Came to Puget Sound in 1859 - Mr. Coombs came to the Puget sound country in 1859 from his home in Maine by way of the Isthmus of Panama.  He was a Douglas Democrat and before coming to the Pacific coast he served in the lower house of the Maine legislature with James G. Blaine.  He first went to Port Madison, where he worked in a lumber mill, later becoming teacher in the village school, in which capacity he served as schoolmaster to Judge C.H. Hanford of the United States district court, and to Judge Hanford’s four brothers, as well as a number of others who have since been prominent in public life.  In 1861 he came to Seattle and worked in Henry L. Yesler’s mill, the while serving as deputy postmaster and agent of the Wells-Fargo Express Company.  In 1863 he was elected county auditor.  With the organization of the Old first city government of Seattle in the following year, he was made the first committing magistrate of the city.  Later he served as justice of the peace, and police judge.  In 1884 he was named by President Grover Cleveland as warden of the government prison at McNeil island.  This position he occupied for four years, and then retired from active business and official life.  - Conducted Hotel - In a business way Mr. Coombs was identified with many of the early enterprises of the city.  His first independent venture of any size was the opening of the Hotel Western Terminus at the site where now stand the Hotel Northern.  At one time he was a reporter on the Intelligencer.  He was one of the early owners of the 100 acres now known as Renton addition, the title to which he obtained after it had been abandoned by George (?P. Fry the original owner? Hard to read.) parted with the 100 acres for $100.  Mr. Coombs was always greatly interested in the Indians and devoted himself to a study of the various Indian dialects in use among the several tribes of Western Washington, and not many years ago he issued a Chinook dictionary for general circulation.  - Wrote Indian History - Together with J. A. Costello, Mr. Coombs published in 1896 a book called “The Siwash.”  It contained a history of the Northwestern Indians from the time Vancouver visited Puget sound.  An incident of interest is the visit of his aged father to Seattle in 1884, to see his son.  The father was at that time 90 years old and crossed the continent under conditions much cruder than those now attending railroad travel.  The father died in Seattle four years later.  Mr. Coombs was a Mason and a member of the Pioneers’ Association, and was a prominent figure in the recent gathering of the association.  Two sons, Mortimer and Ray; one daughter, Mrs. J. H. Watson, and a widow survive.  (THE SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER - Thursday, June 18, 1908).  (Photo pageAnother photo of Samuel).

Coombs, William M., - W. M. COOMBS PASSES AWAY, MOURNED ON SEA AND LAND - After a month’s illness, William Mortimer Coombs, for nearly 26 years financial secretary and treasurer of the Marine Engineers Beneficial Association, No. 38, Seattle, passed away last Sunday morning.  His death caused deep sorrow in North Pacific shipping circles and in the Northwest and Alaskan ports.  He would have been 72 next December.  Born in Seattle he had seen his home port grow from a tiny settlement into one of the major world ports of the nation.  His passing was peaceful and serene.  Only the day before William Peel, business manager of the M.E.B.A., No. 38, had visited him and had found him cheerful and smiling, though he was failing steadily.  Funeral services, held Tuesday afternoon at the Johnson and Hamilton parlors, were attended by large numbers of seafaring and waterfront men and by many other friends.  Mr. Coombs’ friendships in the fleets of Washington and Alaska, the territory covered by No. 38, were almost countless.  As citizen and as M.E.B.A. official he was held in universal respect.  He was one of the native sons of Seattle to rise to prominence in the North Pacific maritime world.  He will be long remembered.  He was known to the seas and to friends ashore as “Mort” Coombs.  Mr. Coombs was born December 16, 1862, in a house at the northeast corner of Cherry Street and First Avenue.  He was the son of the late Judge Samuel F. Coombs, early Seattle pioneer.  Four of his uncles were master mariners, Capt. William Boyd, Capt. George Boyd, Capt. Theodore Arey and Capt. Frank Parker.  After completing his scholastic education, Mr. Coombs, at the age of 18, entered the plant of the Washington Iron Works in Seattle, serving four years there as a machinist apprentice.  The plant, now famous for its full diesel engines, was then located at the corner of Occidental Avenue and Jackson Street.  In 1885 Mr. Coombs went to sea as oiler in the steamship Al-ki which later played an historic role in the northern gold rushes.  Then, in turn, he served as oiler on the steamship Olympian and as first assistant engineer on the tugs Blakely and Richard Holyoke. In 1886, he obtained his license as chief engineer. In 1888, he shipped as oiler on the steamer Premier, operating between British Columbia and Seattle, and left her later to go as watertender of the Mexico.  In the fall of 1889, Mr. Coombs joined with the late Elmer E. Libby in chartering the little tug Yukon, which they operated in Puget Sound towing.  Capt. Libby was master and Mr. Coombs chief engineer.  Occasionally they towed logs to Newell’s mill in Georgetown, now inland as a result of the filling in of the Seattle tidelands.  When the charter of the tug expired, Mr. Coombs returned to the Premier as first assistant engineer, holding that berth until the vessel was sunk in 1892 in collision with the collier Willamette in Admiralty Inlet.  In time the Premier was raised and returned to operation in British Columbia.  Following the collision, Mr. Coombs joined the collier Keeneenah as second assistant, voyaging to and from San Francisco.  In 1892, Mr. Coombs became first assistant engineer on the Seattle fireboat Snoqualmie, but left her a year late to go out as second assistant engineer of the steamship City of Topeka. In 1896 he was appointed chief engineer of the steamship Willapa, famous as the first ship of the old Alaska Steamship Company of Seattle, operating in the Alaska routes.  The following year Mr. Coombs moved to San Francisco and signed on as first assistant engineer of the steamship Orizaba of the old Pacific Coast Steamship Company, the vessel operating between San Francisco and the Gulf of California.  Later he transferred in the same capacity to the steamship Curacao, also of the old Pacific Coast Steamship Company.  Following this, Mr. Coombs served as first assistant and as chief of the steamship Columbia of the O.R. & N (Oregon Railway & Navigation Co.), running between Portland and San Francisco.  He left the Columbia to go to Philadelphia for the Oceanic Steamship Company and help bring the new steamship Sierra out to the Coast, the vessel being a product of the Cramp yard.  Mr. Coombs made the voyage to the Coast as second assistant.  He then made a voyage to Australia and back in the Sierra.  Early in 1903 he returned to Seattle, and Elliott Bay had been his home port ever since.  In the seasons of 1904-1907, inclusive, Mr. Coombs served as relief engineer on the “gold ship” Portland, the vessel that had started the Klondike gold rush in 1897.  On January 1, 1909, Mr. Coombs was elected financial secretary of M.E.B.A. No. 38, Seattle, and held that office until his death. No. 38 covers Washington and Alaska, as stated. It dates back to the days when Seattle was a sawmill port, and its first president was Robert Moran, who later founded the Seattle steel shipyard industry.  (From The MARINE DIGEST September 15, 1934 Pg. 4).  (Mort's Photo).

Crabtree, Agnes Louise, CAMDEN -- Agnes Louise Crabtree, 90, beloved wife of Robert F. 'Bob' Crabtree, passed away on Sunday, Nov. 4, 2012, at Quarry Hill. Born in South Hope on Nov. 23, 1921, she was the daughter of Woodbury W. and Annie (Harris) Lermond, and was a 1939 graduate of Union High School.  On Nov. 29, 1939, she married Robert Frank Crabtree in Rockport. Agnes and Bob lived in Camden until 1975, lived in South Hope for 15 years, and moved back to Camden in 1990.  Agnes had worked in her earlier years as a nanny for private homes then for 20 years worked at Chater's Greenhouse. She was a former member of the Order of the Eastern Star, Chadavae at Chestnut Street Baptist Church, South Hope Grange #318, Pomona Grange, the Maine State Grange, Sportsmen's Alliance of Maine; and the Hope Historical Society.  She enjoyed dancing, going ice fishing and attending the agricultural state fairs throughout Maine each year.  The Crabtree family wishes to express their gratitude to the many caregivers at Quarry Hill and at Pen Bay Medical Center, where she received warm and gracious care.  Surviving are her husband of 72 years, 11 months and six days, Robert F. Crabtree of Camden; her daughter, Patricia Ellen Crabtree Girr of South Portland; and one niece, Norma Greenrose of West Rockport and her family. Agnes (Aggie to some) was loved dearly and also is survived by brothers and sisters-in-law, Phillip R. Crabtree of Thomaston, Everett S. Crabtree (Virginia) of South Hope, Rita Grinnell Elliott of Camden, Claire C. Frye of Rockport, John G. Crabtree (Virginia) of Warren, and former sisters-in-law, Lucy W. Crabtree of South Hope and Greta R. Crabtree of Waldoboro and Florida. Additional survivors include many, many special nieces, nephews; great-nieces, great- nephews; great-great-nieces, and great-great-nephews. She was predeceased by a daughter, Susan Jean Crabtree who was born and died on Sept. 28, 1948; brother, Edwin S. Lermond and wife Leona, sister, Glenys M. Hills; brother-in-law, Kenneth L. Crabtree and wife Phyllis, brother- in-law, Richard A. Crabtree, sister-in-law, Hope B. Crabtree; and son-in-law, Leo Girr.  A graveside service will be held at 1 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 10, 2012, at Oak Hill Cemetery in Camden, with the Rev. Kevin Pleas officiating, followed by a gathering at the Rockport Masonic Center, 361 Main St., Rockport. Arrangements are with the Long Funeral Home & Cremation Service, 9 Mountain St., Camden. Condolences may be shared with the Crabtree family atwww.longfuneralhomecamden.com. Cards of sympathy may be addressed to the Crabtree family at Quarry Hill Terraces #340 at 30 Community Drive, Camden, Maine 04843.  The family suggests memorial donations be made to: Quarry Hill Resident Activities Fund 30 Community Drive Camden, Maine 04843 or to the Camden Area District Nursing Association, P.O. Box 547, Camden, Maine 04843.  (Portland Press Herald/Maine Sunday Telegram, November 7, 2012).

Crabtree, John G., WARREN -- John G. "Emmit" Crabtree Jr., 22, died early Aug. 13 in an automobile accident on Rte. 90 in Warren.  Born in Camden on Aug. 13, 1964, he was the son of John G. Sr. and Arlene Linscott Crabtree.  For the first nine years of his life, he lived at Eagle Lake, later returning with his family to Warren.  Crabtree was a 1983 alumnus of Medomak Valley High School where he was active in athletics, especially cross country, baseball, track and basketball.  He was on leave from the U.S. Navy in Norfolk, Va. where he was serving as a mechanic on an HM14 helicopter minesweeper.  He planned to be a game warden after Navy discharge in the fall of 1987.  In addition to his father of Warren, and his mother of South Hope, Crabtree is survived by his maternal grandmother, Hattie Cushman of South Hope; paternal grandmother, Elsie Crabtree of Camden; five sisters, Marie Crabtree of Tenants Harbor, Valorie Crabtree of Rockland, and Deborah, Sandra and Angela Crabtree, all of South Hope; a stepmother, Virginia Crabtree of Warren, two half-brothers, Craig Orff of Biddeford and Arnold Orff of Warren; a stepbrother, Stacey Howard of Warren; a half-sister, Brenda Monson of Thomaston; a stepsister, Beverly Michaud of Holden; and several aunts, uncles and cousins.  A graveside funeral was held Aug. 15 at the Hope Grove Cemetery, Rte. 235, Hope.  The Rev. William Renwick conducted the service.  In lieu of flowers, donations in his memory may be made to the Medomak Valley Boosters Club, c/o Medomak Valley High School, Waldoboro, 04572.

Cross, Chester, Funeral services for Chester Cross, 61 of Waldo were held Friday at 2 p.m. at Rackliffe Funeral Home with Dr. Daniel Fenner of the First Church officiating.  Burial will be in Grove Cemetery, Belfast, in the spring.  Mr. Cross died Wednesday, Feb. 7 in a Belfast hospital following a long illness.  He was born in Waldo, Sept. 6 1906, the son of Nathaniel and Asa [sic.] (Keller) Cross.  He had lived in Waldo all his life and worked as a farmer.  He was a member of the Waldo Grange, a former member of the Belfast IOOF and a member of the Waldo Volunteer Fire Department.  Surviving are his widow, Mrs. Geneva (Tower Cross) of Waldo; five daughters, Mrs. Rigina Trull of Morrill, Mrs. Cathleen Bachelder, Mrs. Marilyn Keene and Mrs. Linda Brier, all of Belfast, and Miss Maxine Cross of Waldo; two sisters, Mrs. Thirza Herbert and Mrs. Nellie Whitcomb, both of Waldo; 13 grandchildren; one great-grandchild, several nieces, nephews, and cousins.  (Orlando Sanborn Scrapbook, newspaper clipping).

Cross, Julettie B., Julettie B. Cross, 82 died July 19, 1988 at her Masonic Street residence.  She was born at Southwest Harbor, Jan. 23, 1906, daughter of John and Vesta Kalloch Carter.  She was a 1922 graduate of Vinalhaven High School.  Mrs. Cross retired in 1986 after many years as proprietor of the Mandarin Dress Shop on Masonic Street in Rockland.  She was a member of the Business and Professional Woman's Club, the Golden Rod Chapter of Eastern Star, the Rebekahs and the Retired Senior Volunteers Program.  She was a communicant of St. Peter's Episcopal Church.  She is survived a son, Carl H. Kalloch of Rockland, a sister, Ebba Kalloch Maple of Manchester, N.H.; five grandchildren; nine great-grandchildren; and several nieces, nephews and cousins.  She was predeceased by a sister, Abbie Wheeler in 1978.  A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at 11 a.m. Friday at St. Peter's Episcopal Church.  The Rev. James Nutter will officiate.  Interment will be in Achorn Cemetery, Rockland.  Friends may call from 7-9 p.m. Thursday (today) at Carpenter Funeral Home, 306 Broadway, Rockland.  In lieu of flowers, friends are requested to make donations to St. Peter's Episcopal Church in her memory.  (Photo of gravestone).

Cross, Nathaniel, Nathaniel Cross of Waldo died at the home of his granddaughter, Mrs. Robert Blood of Poor’s Mills, Belfast, on Wednesday, January 30.  He was born in Belfast January 7, 1862, the son of Edmund and Nancy (Whitcomb) Cross.  He was a member of Silver Harvest Grange of Waldo for many years.  Mr. Cross is survived by four daughters, Mrs. Albert Whitcomb and Mrs. Thirza Herbert of Waldo, Mrs. Ada Whitcomb of Belfast, and Mrs. Eben Whitcomb of Waldo; one son, Chester Cross of Waldo; a brother, Freeman Cross of Waldo, and several grandchildren, great-grandchildren and great-great-grandchildren.  His wife, Mrs. Isa Keller Cross, died about six years ago.  Services were held at the Coombs Funeral Home in Belfast Sunday afternoon at 1 o’clock with the Rev. Z. Richard Henley of the First Baptist Church officiating.  Burial will be in the Paul Cemetery at Waldo in the Spring.  (Orlando Sanborn Scrapbook, newspaper clipping).

Curra, D. Elaine (Kalloch), D. Elaine Curra, 85, died Wednesday [1/9/02] at New Hampshire Odd Fellows Home.  She was born in Concord, the daughter of Sumner and Ethel (Dearborn) Kalloch.  Curra worked as a self employed beautician and dietician.  Survivors include two sons, Chris Rogers of Concord and Alan Rogers of Epsom; a daughter, Anne Roney of Milford; seven grandchildren; and many nieces and nephews.  Graveyard services will be held privately in Blossom Hill Cemetery.  In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to the charity of one's choice.  Bennett Funeral Home, Concord is in charge of the arrangements.  (From the Concord Monitor, Concord, NH).  (Photo page).


Family Genealogy Page | Photo Album Index | Site Map |

A note about these obituaries: Many of these obituaries are from clippings from our family historian and other family members and do not include the newspaper name.  If anyone knows the newspaper source of any of these obituaries which do not have the source indicated, or notice any errors in the information, please notify the webmaster.  Also if anyone is sending in a new obituary, please include the name of the newspaper and date.

Back to top of page |